WILLIAM PATERSON UNIVERSITY - OFFICE OF FIELD EXPERIENCES
Expectations for Clinical Interns
To be reviewed during the initial meeting between the clinical intern, clinical educator and clinical supervisor.
Overview: The triad, consisting of the clinical intern, clinical educator, and clinical supervisor, will:
- Review the expectations and procedures (see Handbook) of the field experience.
- Share emergency and general contact information (including the clinical educator’s school e-mail address).
- Set up observation schedules (2 for practicum & 8 for student teaching).
- Confirm receipt of handbook links and workshop information.
- Will conduct post-observation conferences after each observed lesson to discuss strengths, areas for improvement and goals for the next observation.
Attendance: The clinical interns will:
- Be on time and follow the school district’s time schedule.
- Notify the clinical educator and clinical supervisor immediately of any unavoidable absence.
Planning: The clinical intern will:
- Provide a written lesson plan (in the recommended format) to the clinical educator and clinical supervisor at least two days before date of observed lesson, so that it can be reviewed and feedback can be provided.
- Discuss classroom management and any different techniques planned to be used by the student beforehand.
- Use the resources located in the school, but also show initiative in finding outside resources such as those available in the WPUNJ Curriculum Library.
- Check with the clinical educator before making important decisions (e.g., parent communications, grades, tests and assignments, snacks and allergies).
- Put up and take down monthly bulletin board displays.
- Follow the district/clinical educator’s curriculum and schedule.
- Be familiar with the New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards.
Dispositions: The clinical intern will:
- Display a positive attitude and dedication to teaching.
- Be familiar with and follow all school district policies (e.g., report cards, dress, field trips), demonstrate confidentiality and behave in a professional manner at all times.
- Seek to improve teaching skills and ask for both positive feedback and constructive criticism.
- Treat all students equitably – with caring and fairness.