10 Easy Ways to Keep Your Computer Information Secure:
Protect your computer
- Update Your Operating System: As operating system flaws are discovered, vendors release patches to cover security holes—install these patches regularly to stay secure!
- Use Your Computer's Firewall: Make sure that your computer's firewall is turned on.
- Install and Update Antivirus Software: Download the latest antivirus software and make sure its autoupdate feature is turned on to ensure continued protection.
Protect your identity and personal information:
- Email Safely: Identify fraudulent emails and immediately delete them. Only open expected attachments from people you know.
- Safeguard Your Personal Information: Don't send or post your Social Security Number, bank account number, passwords, or any other private information on the web.
- Protect Your Passwords: Use good password practices to keep your information safe.
- Remember to Log Out of Web Applications: If you're using a public machine, remember to explicitly log out and quit the browser before you walk away.
- Be careful When Using Wireless Networks: Never use an insecure wireless internet connection (e.g., internet cafe or random connection you pick up) when banking, buying or sending private information over the web.
- Data Security - Learn about what you can do to keep sensitive data safe.
- Think before you share: Do not share copyrighted material.
Read the IT Services File Sharing policy and find out how to disable file sharing on the most common peer-to-peer clients.