International Faculty Visiting WPUNJ

International Faculty Visiting WPUNJ

William Paterson University welcomes faculty and staff through collaborative efforts with colleagues from universities abroad. If you are interested in such opportunities, you will need a formal invitation through an academic department here at William Paterson University of New Jersey. Please visit the university’s main page for a complete listing of academic departments, programs and colleges.

Please download and complete the International Faculty/DS-2019 J-1 Visa packet.

You will need to apply for a J-1 exchange visitor visa under one of the approved categories at WPUNJ (visiting scholar, short term scholar or researcher). We are also approved for the student and intern categories which apply to individuals still pursuing their studies in their home countries.

The sponsoring department at WPUNJ completes a request for a J-1 exchange visitor form (DS1019 form). This form requires the signatures of the sponsoring faculty, department, college dean and the Office of the Provost.

Under the law, you must show evidence of financial support for the entire period of your stay including all sources of funding before a DS109 form is issued. Sources of funding may include: (personal funds, WPU funding, funding from your own government, the US government, or an agency such as Fulbright, IREX and so forth). Generally if scholars are funded through an organization such as Fulbright, the DS2019 form is issued through them, not WPUNJ.

Upon all approvals on the DS2019 request form, WPUNJ’s Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) issues a DS210 form to be presented at the US consulate or embassy abroad to obtain a J-1 exchange visitor visa.

All completed requests must be sent to OISS by the sponsoring academic department (not the prospective scholar) at least 90 days prior to the start of the visit. The duration of the stay may vary from a few days and up to 36 months (3 years), depending on the nature of the visit, the interests and needs of the sponsoring department and all approvals from the appropriate university officials.

The Office of International Students and Scholars will provide information and visa services to all scholars and their dependents throughout their stay in the US