Post 9/11 GI Bill ® Transferability for ARNG Soldiers

Who is eligible to transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill ® benefits to qualified dependents?

Individuals who are currently serving in the Armed Forces (on or after August 1, 2009), have completed at least 6 years of service, and agree to serve up to four more years (must not have an Adverse Action Flag). Extension must be made on the date of election for transferability and must add the amount of time to current ETS to equal four years from this date. The following table applies to retirement-eligible members:

Retirement Eligibility Service Obligation
Eligible to retire or 20 year letter on August 1, 2009 None
Approved to retire between August 2, 2009 and June 30, 2010 None
Eligible to retire or 20 year letter on or after August 2, 2009 and before August 2, 2010 1 year
Eligible to retire or 20 year letter on or after August 2, 2010 and before August 2, 2011 2 years
Eligible to retire or 20 year letter on or after August 2, 2011 and before August 2, 2012 3 years
All others 4 years

Service members can transfer up to 36 months of entitlements to their spouse and/or children. They can add, revoke, or modify transferability benefits while serving in the Armed Forces. Retirees or separated service members cannot transfer benefits; they can only revoke or modify existing transferred benefits.

• Can use benefits after service member has served at least six years in the armed forces
• Can use benefits up to member’s fifteen year eligibility period unless member specifies an earlier date
• Can use benefits if divorced after the transfer (unless revoked by service member)
• Not eligible for housing allowance or book stipend if service member is on Title 10 Active Duty

• Can transfer to unmarried child under age of 18, or if in college, under the age of 23
• May use benefits after transferor has served ten years in the Armed Forces
• Will receive full veteran benefits even if transferor is on active duty (housing and books)
• May use benefits until age of 26 regardless of transferor’s eligibility period
• May continue to receive benefits after marriage

Army National Guard Procedures to Transfer benefits (must be done in sequence)

  •  Soldier confirms current ETS date meets required service obligation – extends contract if necessary and allows processing time for extension
  •  Soldier confirms desired family member enrolled in DEERS
  •  Soldier logs onto DOD TEB website ( and completes request for transfer (Warning: Transferring entitlements will automatically make an irrevocable election of Chapter 33).
  • Soldier completes the Post 9/11 Educational Benefits Transferability Commitment and Statement of Understanding (SOU) form at: and uploads the SOU
  • Soldier request is approved by ARNG GI Bill® Support Team and notification is sent to soldier AKO email address
  •  Family member completes VA Form 22-1990e (only when benefit is needed) with the Department of Veterans Affairs online at
  •  Department of Veterans affairs processes family member application and provides Certificate of Eligibility to family member
  • Family member brings Certificate to Veterans Affairs Certifying Office at the school they he or she attends to begin payment of benefit

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at