Room Selection Process

Starting March 1, 2018

Current residents living on campus spring semester 2018 will sign into our Residence Life housing portal -MyResCenter to complete the housing application. Get there by logging into WP Connect>Campus Life>Residence Life-MyResCenter. 

  • To renew your housing, first update your emergency contact information; name,phone contact/address.
  • Open the new application for fall 2018 and complete all required fields.
  • Accept the Terms and Conditions of the Housing Contract. (PDF copy available in the application) 
  • Select roommates by providing their name and William Paterson email address. 

It is recommended that you submit the required $150.00 non-refundable deposit in the Bill and Payment Center in WP Connect. If you have $150.00 cash payment, you may also pay your deposit at Student Enrollment Services Office, Morrison Hall. This does take longer to post to your account, so please advise the Residence Life Office in White Hall if you are paying a cash deposit to the other office.


Room Selection Basics

Room Selection is a lottery based process, Current seniors receive low (better) lottery numbers, juniors are next, sophomores, and then continuing freshmen.

Depending on what type of housing you apply for, you will be assigned a specific date and time your access opens in MyResCenter to choose an assignment.

Very important when choosing as a group of 4 or 3 individuals is the confirmation of roommates in MyResCenter by the the dates noted on the Room Selection Calendar. If roommates are blocked from being added/confirmed because a member of the suite is missing a housing deposit or housing contract, the entire suite will be blocked from selection online. If this happens to your group, you will be given a new selection time later in the online selection calendar. If you need to drop or change a roommate, you must do this by the deadline for submission of application and contract associated with the round in which you are looking to select.  If you experience any problems, please contact our office to ask for assistance with replacing names.

During your open access time to choose a room, the person in your group with the best lottery # can choose a room/suite for the entire group while logged in, as long as all conditions as stated above are met. Other members of the group can see the assignment displayed (confirmed) by logging into MyResCenter under their user name. Click on the assignment to open up roommate pairing information.

Is one of your requested roommates a continuing student currently commuting or a new transfer student for fall? In both cases the commuter or new student submit the Housing Contract from the Residence Life web page: Prospective Students>Apply for Housing. A non-refundable $150.00 Housing Deposit is also required by this person to be confirmed as a roommate. Contact our office to verify the roommate request can be set up correctly. New freshmen applicants to the University cannot be requested into continuing student housing and are assigned to specific freshmen residence halls.

Follow the Room Selection calendar timeline provided here: Room Selection Calendar 2018

Pay your $150.00 non-refundable housing deposit here- 

Watch for email updates and information on residence hall bulletin boards. Specific questions- Contact your Resident Director of your residence hall or contact the central Residence Life Office, White Hall, at 397-720-2714. Our Department email

Need to browse for a new roommate? Residence Life is providing access to RoomSync, a roommate-matching app through Facebook, for our returning students, commuters, and new transfer students. Use this link to join. Passcode if needed is: 420185

Watch the videos to learn more about RoomSync, here and here

RoomSync, the Roommate Matching App, is compatible with Internet Explorer 8 or above, as well as Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. It can also be used on mobile devices.

Housing Accommodations for Students through ADA Guidelines

The University provides living accommodations for students presenting with physical disabilities. All students must be able to reside independently in these facilities; that is, be able to do their own dressing, self-care, cleaning, etc.

If you have  special needs which we should be aware of when considering your application for on campus housing, please indicate this on your housing contract and provide an explanation of your requirements. You may also contact our Central Residence Life Office at 973-720-2714, and ask to speak with the Associate Director of Residence Life for Assignments.

We ask that you identify yourself with the Accessibility Resource Center at William Paterson University. Residence Life works with staff in adhering to ADA guidelines. Their contact information is 973-720-2853, and the web site is

Housing Accommodations for Students Requesting Emotional Support Animals (ESA) 

The University will consider available living accommodations for students presenting a need for an ESA .The process to request for accommodation begins with the Accessibility Resource Center and must be pre-approved by their administrator. You should explain your request for housing and mention that you will be applying for this accommodation on the housing application, however, without following the appropriate process with the Accessibility Resource Center, no student may bring a support animal with them to campus.