Admissions Requirements

You should apply as an International Student if:

  • You entered the United States with an F-1 or J-1 student visa.
  • You already reside in the United States and hold other non-immigrant visas (E2, H2, or L2, for example).

Please note: I-20 forms (Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant (F-1) Student Status) will not be processed until all documentation has been received. Click here to review the instruction packet.

Minimum Graduate Admission Requirements for International Applicants:

International applicants seeking admission into a master’s degree program must hold a degree that is equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree. For a country-by-country breakdown of our requirements, please click here.

  • Your college or university must be recognized by the appropriate governmental ministry as a degree-granting institution.
  • All transcripts and degree certificates/diplomas must be written in the original language of instruction. All original-language documents must be accompanied by a separate, word-for-word English translation. Dual-language transcripts are not acceptable.
  • Official transcripts must show all courses and subjects taken and all grades (marks) received.
  • A course-by-course evaluation of all foreign education credentials is required and should be forwarded to William Paterson University by an approved professional evaluation service. Please visit NACES, AICE, or IFCS for a list of accepted evaluation agencies.
  • Official transcripts must be sent directly to William Paterson University by the college or university.
  • Diploma Supplements must accompany transcripts from institutions from countries that are part of the Bologna Accord.
  • An overall “B” average (3.0/4.0 GPA) is the minimum standard for admission consideration. To calculate your academic average William Paterson University may convert an overseas grading scale to the U.S. standard scale.
  • A vocational track is not appropriate preparation for graduate admission.
  • Additional requirements are determined by individual graduate programs

Contact Information:

  • You must provide a valid email address when you submit your application. All communication directed from the Office of Admission to international applicants is conducted via email.
  • You must provide your permanent address in your home country. This information is required even if you currently reside in the U.S.
  • You must provide your current mailing address (if it is not the same as your permanent address). If you are currently outside the United States, do not provide the address of a friend or relative living in the U.S. as your current address. This will delay the processing of your application.

Transfer and Change of Visa Status

If you are currently studying in the United States or engaged in Optional Practical Training (OPT), your current academic institution must release your I-20 or DS-2019 Certificate in SEVIS (the Web-based data collection and monitoring system) before William Paterson University can issue an I-20 or DS-2019 for study at William Paterson University.

You must also inform the Office of International Students and at William Paterson University if you plan to change your visa status in the United States, or by leaving and re-entering. These activities will determine the type of I-20 or DS-2019 you are issued.