Advising Links and FAQs

Advising Links

Registration timetable

Registrar (see for issues with transfer credits)

Online registration

Foreign Language Requirement

GPA Calculator

College of Education

Support Services:

Answers to Commonly-Asked Questions in Psychology

Q. Can I take summer courses at a community college and then transfer the credits to WPU?

A. You may transfer up to 60 credits from a community college or 90 credits from a 4-year university; once you have 60 credits (counting both WPU and community college courses) then you may not transfer credits to WPU. See the WPU student handbook.


Q. I'm about to graduate! Can I take PSY 4800 the senior seminar course even if I am missing requirements?

A. To be eligible to take PSY 4800 one must first complete the bulk of the major (PSY2020, PSY2030, PSY2110, PSY2200, PSY2300, PSY3530, PSY3500/3510, PSY3540/3750/4200). Since PSY2020 is a pre-req to PSY2030, and ALL of those courses listed need to be completed prior to PSY4800, it takes a minimum of three semesters to successfully progress through the major courses. However, students are NOT permitted to do PSY4800 concurrent with those requirements. Studnets CAN complete Psychology electives concurrent with PSY4800 (and Psych majors need three (3) Psych electives), but not the listed requirements for the major.


Q. Is there a minimum grade for Psychology courses?

A. YES, students need to earn a grade of C- or higher for a course to be applied towards Psychology major requirements. Courses with a grade of D+ or lower can not be used towards the Psychology major and must be repeated to earn a higher grade.


Q. Can I take the courses designated for Mercer? What does that designation mean?

A. William Paterson is housed in Wayne, NJ and also hosts students at a satellite campus in Mercer county (West Windsor, NJ). Students living in and around Mercer county can complete the WPU Psychology degree program at that satellite campus. Only students in the WPU @ Mercer program are eligible to take courses with the Mercer designation, which includes targeted online (section -88) and in-person (section -78) courses. If you wish to be enrolled in the WPU @ Mercer program, please speak with your academic advisor.


 Q. How do I register for more than 16 credits?

A. From the undergraduate catalog: "Students completing 120 credits in eight (8) semesters require an average load of 15 credits per semester, although up to 19 credits in some major programs may be carried without special approval. Registration for more than this number of credits per semester is permitted only under unusual circumstances and requires high academic standing and approval (using an ADR request) of the student’s advisor, department chairperson, and the appropriate dean." Speak with your advisor if this is something that you need to consider.


 Q. How can I improve my GPA?

A. You may wish to retake courses in which you received low grades. See the course repeat policy and also the GPA calculator.


 Q. How do I apply for graduation?

A. Log into WPConnect, click on the self-service tab, and then click on the “Apply for Graduation” link.